Back by popular demand! What has come to be known as the peace symbol was created by British designer Gerald Holtom for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in 1958. The vertical line in the center represents the flag semaphore signal for the letter D, and the downward lines on either side represent the semaphore signal for the letter N—N and D for nuclear disarmament. Holtom also described the symbol as representing despair, with the central lines forming a human whose hands are stretched out at its sides to plead or pray—or both—against the backdrop of the round and imperiled earth.
Holtom’s design began to be associated more generally with the universal cry for peace, and virtually everyone worldwide continues to instantly recognize the symbol and what it represents. We have always loved this powerful symbol and its profound meaning, and we are proud to help keep it contemporary in an era in which the demand for peace is more important than ever.